Friday 1 June 2018

National Fish and Chips Day

It’s National Fish and Chips day today a day to rejoice for this British classic not just here in Wales but all round the UK and one of the first foods visitors seek out when on holiday here. The American pop star Taylor Swift is known to be partial to the British classic.

The funny thing is I have not had fish and chips from a chippy in years I always plum for pie and chips but I promise myself next chippy takeaway will be fish. The problem I have is the use of boxes/trays most fish shops now use them to wrap your meal in they seemed to me light on the chips. A few months ago, a local chippy started using trays for my normal pie and chips and I noticed as I said it was definitely light on the chips. The next time I asked for them to be separated wrapped and guess what I was inundated with chips more than the last time. So if I were you I would ask for your fish/chips to be wrapped individually.

I do love a good fish batter but I am not a fan of beer batter. Although I have not had a portion of fish shop fish in a while, I did have a couple of fish cakes from Dorothy’s in Caroline Street they were by far the best Fish Cake I have eaten.

We don’t really have a top chippy around our local area they are like supermarkets selling something for everyone I would just like to have a chippy local with the normal menu. If you go by customer ratings the best chip shop in Cardiff is “Youngers Fish Bar” Caerphilly Road, and you will notice for the menu there are no reams of what I call foreign food like Pizzas, Kababs, Fried Chicken, and Beef Burgers and others. I did notice there are no Pasties on the menu board, nor Sausage Rolls, a rarity in most chip shops and I don’t know why.


We have fish and chips weekly home made its one of our standard meals sometimes we swap for fish fingers, fishcakes or bag boiled fresh fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment