Wednesday 19 September 2018

Food and a trip on a morning out

I had planned to meet friend Gillian in our new breakfast meeting place this morning but she was under the weather so I made a house call instead. Message to myself - never try catching a bus around 9am the bus a full and I do not like crowded buses and I am known to refuse to board them and wait for a less crowded bus, it is a mental health thing.

After a search for my missing keys, I was running late and when I finally got on the bus almost straight away, I found I was in the need of some eats; I was planning to get breakfast down Cardiff Bay before popping into Gillian’s for a chat. I targeted “Eli Jenkins” but with me running late, I decided to pop into Cardiff’s indoor market.

I went upstairs to Woody’s I can’t remember what it was call back in 1975; yes it’s been at long. Of course, it had changed but as I was walking along, I swear I could picture the young me sitting there waiting for my food and drink and dad standing in the queue. It was the family pit stop back in the day and every time we were in the market it was fingers crossed to see the animals, fish in the pet shops and something to eat. I would get a ham sandwich, a bottle of orange with a straw.

Today I called in for breakfast and it may have changed but it brought back many good memories sitting at the rail and looking below at all the other stalls. I remember my brother and me checking out the rabbits, dogs and others in their cages and the sign not to put your finger in the cage. As I grew up, I would look on enviously at the trendies shopping at Gwyns, and the girls.

By the way, the breakfast was top notch but a part of me thought maybe I should have gone all nostalgic and gone for a ham sandwich, and a bottle of orange and with the all-important straw.

On to friend, for a laugh and a giddle I always feel happy went I walk into our old street before heading home and I forgot to hand her the bill for my breakfast it was her turn to pay that can wait for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment