Monday 3 September 2018

Little in common taste wise but we talk


I’ve been out with a few girls who loved music and other things I like but thinking back very few had the passion, I had. I found it the same with other things like films, comics, and sport if we when to the cinema I can’t remember having some big discussion about what we were going to watch. I was the bloke who took a girl to watch “A Bridge to Far” which went down like the titanic she might have thought it was some poncey love story. No, it was an over two-hour war film.

Men are generally obsessive embracing their hard-core passions and guard them from outside influences like a girlfriend/wife. A friend when fishing on the morning of his wedding I was recently reminded and the reason for this post. But girls I knew loved clothes, make up and pretty things not trainspotting that I tried out once.

Even those into the many music movements like Mods, Skinheads, and Rudies it was the fashion they were attracted to with the music secondary in most cases. My girlfriend at the time of the Two Tone era in braced the music and the dress style and she liked football and didn’t mind cold rainy nights on the terraces of Ninian Park still we parted company.

Occasionally back in my youth you would see the odd girl in Spillers Records digging through the vinyl while most of the girls I knew would buy the latest top 10 single at Woolworths. If she were to buy the new Duran Duran single the likelihood, she would have no idea what was on the B-side.

Obviously, this is a sweeping generalization and I don’t intend to be sexist in any way. I did note the general lack of albums in their record collections while I rarely bought singles unless it was some limited edition. It was a good pick up line, “What music do you like” and you would fane interest in whatever it was it just had to be done. I remember agreeing the Osmond’s were great while not letting on that secretly liking Donny’s ‘Puppy Love and Why’, I feel ashamed.

I remember when I had a collection worth flipping through those old albums and those memories are flooding back. I find I miss the physical, tactile reality of the records themselves and the music they contained. I remember standing in Virgin Records when it was across the road from Cardiff Castle along from ‘The Rummer Tavern’ deciding whether on not to buy the Sex Pistols album the one with who killed bambi on the back cover The Great Rock and Roll Swindle, and that scary punk girl in the middle of the album. I did buy it can’t remember why – I hated the punk movement.

These days I have no music laying around the house I find what I want to listen to via the internet on YouTube and other platforms, incredibly lazy I am. I think the older you get the more you appreciate things that is both sexes asking the wife we have little in common after nearly 33 years taste wise but we talk is that good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment