Sunday 2 September 2018

The Road to the Welsh Cup Final Opens


It was the opening round of the Welsh Cup yesterday but you wouldn’t know as 8pm I looked for the results of the games and couldn’t find them anywhere even on the FAW official website. That was piss poor. I check early on Sunday morning and still no update on results or even a mention of the news of the competition very unprofessional.

Normally my journey through the Welsh Cup I pick a Cardiff based team playing at home to follow but this year I decided to go off line. It was still a Cardiff based team but one I never heard of playing in Cardiff, Aberystwyth Exiles. When they were drawn in the South East region I, thought “whoops” someone screwed up here until it was explained they were Cardiff based.

They play in the Cardiff Combination League, were promoted to the Premier Division last season and this game was their first ever-Welsh Cup game.

Lucky for me they had an active Twitter account so I was able to find out the final score. Shame on you FAW you need to wake up and get with the programme.

They had an away fixture with Treharris Athletic from the Welsh Football League Division Three. Who are some 65 places above the Cardiff team in league position and the quality between the two was telling in the score line. The home team run out 8-1 winner’s looks like the Exiles were a tad outclassed with a quick exit. So in the next draw my team will be Treharris Athletic.

There were no results on posting this article, some were coming in on the FAW someone remembered their job. I can’t tell what happen to the other Cardiff based teams there were eight in this opening round we know the result of one but will have to wait on the rest. Hell I could wait for ever so did an internet search via Twitter.
Wattsville FC 6-1 Cardiff Corinthians
Trethomas Bluebirds 3-1 St Albans – AET
Pill YMCA 4-3 Ely Rangers
Newport Corinthians 1-4 Cardiff Draconians
Aber Valley 3-2 Canton Liberal
Chepstow Town 6 - 0 Fairwater
Brecon Corries 2-0 Clwb Cymric
Of the eight teams, only one from this round made it into the draw for the next round a pretty poor showing for the Welsh Capital.

1st Qualifying Round - Wattsville FC 8-1 Aberystwyth Exiles Att

No comments:

Post a Comment