Monday 2 June 2014

After nearly 29 years ... Cinema date

Cineworld Cardiff
The wife and I have been together since January 1985, we married in the October of the same year, and I am truly ashamed to say, we have never been on a Cinema date/film date. A fact that can be solely lain at my door, I have been a bad husband and very unromantic.

I planned everything to a fine detail not telling the wife. I was looking forward to our afternoon but forget to factor in the wife and a hospital appointment. Well I did but not a fire alarm and an evacuation. Oh well on to plan B or the lesser second plan.

Today I planned to put that right and so we made the journey to the Cineworld cinema complex. I told the wife we were going to do some shopping but as we walked up to the taxi rank, I told her we were going into town. Looking puzzled she asked where we were going, with a smile, I said Cineworld. The plan was to go to the Vue, which was closer to our house and a nice slow walk towards town. Then a stroll along the river Taff stopping off for a moment or two checking out the wildlife on offer. Instead, it was a taxi across town to Cineworld. I was thinking as we drove along I had never been to a multiplex cinema before. The first one in Cardiff was the Capitol Odeon, opened in August 1991 as part of the Capitol Centre. Another fact is that I have not been to the cinema since 1985 and I can even remember the film.

I decided to let the wife pick the film. Even if this was on my bucket list and by rights, it should have been my film to pick. Looking at the list of films, I had a favourite but I had a bet to myself, I would not be seeing, ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ I do like a bit of sci-fi and I really, really wanted to see it. She when for ‘Maleficent’. We decided to watch the film in 3D a first for both of us, which should be interesting I thought to myself.

One of the benefits of the wife being wheelchair bound is the Cinema Exhibitors' Association Card (ceacard) this verifies that the holder is entitled to one free ticket for a person accompanying them to the cinema. So a cheap date going in for free as the wife’s plus 1, but seeing has it was the date we never had before it was only right to go ‘Dutch’ and split the cost.

The film was ok, 3D was fun, and the cinema was empty a massive benefit. Angelina Jolie was still hot with wings and horns to boot. Well ticked that off my bucket list and I think it was one of many more trips to the cinema but next time I pick the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment