Saturday 21 June 2014

A bit of me

Happy times
I am one of five children, (the eldest) we lived in Cardiff, and it was not an easy upbringing compared to some of my peers. As children, we didn't have many of the same opportunities as other children living round us.
Trips out were a rarity and even less as the family grew but for the odd trip out with the club. Holidays just didn’t happen. I spent a night at Nans and if you don’t count the endless nights camping over the local park none of which you could class as a holiday. I did spent five days at Story Arms with the school, so I had one working holiday.
Dad worked every hour under the sun and more. I don’t think he took a day off sick in his life and would happily work through any due holidays they would have to force him to take them. Mum was what you would call today a stay at home mum with my dad old-fashioned enough to want to be the sole breadwinner of the household.
Money might have been tight but there was always a meal on the table sometimes with the help of the ‘book’, (credit at the local shop) and we were always clothed and well turned out. Maybe we would have to wait a bit for the latest craze but with the deep pockets of our Nan, we got there most times.
There was plenty of love from our parents in our house even if I push them to the limits from time to time. We were a happy family unit when all said and done
One thing I didn’t lack in my childhood was friends with everyone knowing each other’s parents it made friendships much easier. If you were to fall out with a mate, it would soon be swept under the carpet and forgotten. After a while, it would be like what ‘argument or fight’ there would be no festering grudge. I can guarantee I was never bored, there was always something going on if not we would soon create something. I had great neighbours and lived in a special neighbourhood where as kids you could feel safe.
If I could, I wouldn’t have change anything about my childhood. Well maybe a few extra quid in dads wage packet to make it easy for him and mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment