Tuesday 17 June 2014

My top ten tunes (this morning)

I was a bit bored this morning the wife was out with a carer and there was nothing much happening on the TV so I got on with a little blogging. I decided to have some background music to chill to, but what.

My favourite list on You Tube is bulging with top tunes so I did a shuffle and the top ten tunes are as follows

 
Don’t Speak – No Doubt. Fell in love is song the first time I heard it and seen the video which was helped along by the drummer wearing a Madness t-shirt. Then there is Gwen Stefani her voice was sublime and reeled my in and finding she was into my kind of music was a plus. Don’t Speak reached number one in the UK for three weeks.


Bring me to Life – Evanescence. Has a rule I avoid this kind of music rock/metal stuff but the voice of Amy Lee, won me over. The video of her climbing up the building was awesome and powerful the song spent 14 weeks in the UK charts, four weeks at the top.


The Cranberries – Zombie. Another great single and another great female singer in Dolores O'Riordan. The IRA bombing in Warrington, Cheshire in 1993 in which children, Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry, were killed, inspired this song. It got into trouble in the UK because the video showed footage of British soldiers on patrol leading to the video being banned. Changes were made for the UK market.

You’re Wondering Now – The Specials. I don’t think a day goes by would out me mumbling a Specials tune. This track is off one of the greatest albums set on vinyl ever simply called ‘The Specials’. From the first I seen them on Top of the Pops I knew Two Tone was for my and ska would become my life.

 
Bob Marley – Natural Mystic. I love affair with Marley and reggae music begun at an early age but I was not until 1973 while viewing the Old Grey Whistle Test I could put a name to this sound. It was after an appearance of Bob Marley. Living very close to the biggest Africa Caribbean community in Wales I would always hear reggae booming out.

 
Pulp – Common People. BBC Radio 6 recently declared this delightful little ditty from the Britpop era anthem of the period. It comes with a really smart video, vibrant and colourful.


Steel Pulse – Can’t Stand Losing You. Normally I am on a big fan of ‘cover’ but I will make an exception for this song from the Police. This reggae inspired cover is too sweet not to like.

 
Janet Kay – Silly Games. Glad this popped out in my shuffle it has always been a favourite of mine since I heard it on Top of the Pops many, many years ago. She has a beautiful voice.
 

Duran Duran – Ordinary World. I have or never have been a New Romantic but still can like a tune or two but by the release of this song Duran, Duran had moved on.
 

George Michael - Praying For Time. I must be say George Michael corners in kind of music gene not my favourite but it is on my favourite list for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment