Monday 22 December 2014

Christmas Day 1967

I may have been 7-years-old coming on eight with little memory of Christmas Day 1967 but one thing is for sure the radio was just as important as the TV. The big radio stars at that time were Pete Murray and Jimmy Young.

The air would be full of Christmas songs with White Christmas beaming out and sung by a whole cast of different artists. To this day, it is the most-recorded Christmas song; there have been more than 500-recorded versions released (maybe not quite than many), in several different languages with Bing Crosby’s version the biggest seller.

Mum would be in our tiny kitchen doing the full Christmas dinner and thinking back it was remarkable it could be done without gadgets, we have today, just one oven, and four gas rings. She would cook the turkey overnight to free up oven space on Christmas Day and when going downstairs to hit the presents the whole house would smell of cooking turkey.

I liked watching mum cook the dinner and help if allowed. It came in handy when I moved out to live with my future wife and we cooked our first Sunday Dinner, which is a Christmas dinner every Sunday with a few extras. We agreed on everything but the roast potatoes, she was part boil while I when the other way and I won that argument.

Church was always necessary and an important part of my Christmas day, that was until I was old enough to make the decision whether I went or not. I did enjoy the church back then it brought our small community together when community was important.

There were only four of us back in 1967, my sisters had yet to arrive and when they did, it took Christmas to a completely different level.

No comments:

Post a Comment