Tuesday 5 September 2017

The Mist The TV Series - TV Review


A well iffy internet stream helped me out last night after finding out Netflix was screening the new TV series ‘The Mist’. The film was a hit for me and I was hitching to see this new series, but I have still not decided if I was going to add Netflix to my TV package.

With the press full of news of a crackdown on illegal download and streaming websites, I felt the urge to watch. So with some trepidation that the internet police would be kicking the door down any minute I still hit the button.

The television series offers a chance to explore this premise further an in the film, given more time to expand its narrative, the mystery of where the mist came from, and how the characters deal with the situation.

Set in a small town America in Maine. In the film the characters confined to the supermarket - save for escape attempts, foraging missions whereas here, the series splits out its main cast into three groups: a large collection of residents at the mall and two smaller groups at the police station and the church respectively.

The Mist film centre on monster horror, as the mist teems with otherworldly beings both small and gigantic. The Mist TV series has no creatures at all. For those who have not seen the film first shame on you. But a strange mist rolls into town and within 24 hours everyone devolves into bloodthirsty homicidal maniacs, because nobody wants to watch a show where civilized, normal adults work together like human beings to wait it out and stay alive.

Everyone in town quickly assumes the Mist is a harbinger of End of Times, because nobody wants to watch a show where everyone concludes it’s a chemical leak with some hallucinogenic agent, which is something all reasonable people would quickly assume.

The Mist gruesomely kills a bunch of unnamed, characters while allowing our heroes to dart around back and forth in it whenever they please and remain mostly unscathed, because everyone knows these characters need to return next season.

I myself like the pilot but there have been a lot of negativity surrounding the series and the likelihood of a second series is poor. I will continue watching when I get Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment