Thursday 9 November 2017

Jane Comic Strip and TV Show

Looking around the internet a few hours ago, I come across the famous comic strip Jane from the Daily Mirror and had a good old chuckle. I remembered it from back in the seventies. I would read the Andy Capp strip daily and is adventures with his wife Flo that normally seen him in the pub coming home to an unhappy Flo.


It would also give me the chance to eye up the latest adventure of Jane who famously had trouble keeping her dress on. It could be were my lifelong interest in woman in Lingerie was born. Her intimate confidant was a pet dachshund named Fritz and although the comic strip came to an end in 1959 it was reproduced from time to time in the Daily Mirror. The strip was very popular during the war with the troops and on the homefront has she battle the nasty Nazis and the diabolical Japanese.

In the early eighties’, I remember a comic strip adaptation that ran on BBC 2 in the early evenings. Jane was play by the delectable Glynis Barber and was a mix of live action and animation to give the appearance of a comic strip literally coming to life. Naturally the TV version Jane also spent a great deal of time in lingerie – great stuff for the male audience and any females interested I was, bearing in mind that there was no internet and no lads’ mags then either only the top shelf.

The was also a film called “Jane and the Lost City” (1987) and starred Kirsten Hughes as Jane and lucky me I have found a copy and will re-watch and review on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment