Thursday 30 November 2017

The Power of Memories


Listening to a song can bring back some pretty intense memories – your first real kiss, your first heartbreak, or happy moments with the family. In times of hardship, many people turn to the music for memories of happy times when life was easier. It is the same with a thought, or something you may read that can soon turn into a memory.

A song triggers an emotion that matches the sentiment felt at the time the event happened. Like the other day, listening to the Donny Osmond “Young Love” reminded me of my first proper kiss and smoochy dance with Lynn a friend who became girlfriend material. Has I listened I could picture the whole scene as if I was there watching as a spectator.

Another song scarred deeply into me was a David Bowie track “Space Oddity” which I find haunted to the fact that it relaxes me and the words are magic. When I play it, I feel like I am drifting in wide-open spaces alone like astronaut Major Tom. It takes me back to a hot summer day sitting on the rocks watching the tide on the River Taff come in or laying at the point watching the clouds drift by.

Take a man on TV talking about old comics, it lead me to seek out the first edition of ‘Battle Picture Weekly’; I wanted that memory back. Without him on that day and time, the need to find and buy the comic may never have happened. I did buy it.

Almost all sensory experiences can trigger nostalgia, like this morning a memory out of the blue of Spike Milligan had me seeking out his Q series TV show and the opening theme tune I loved. I was soon on YouTube looking for that memory. The internet as opened the door to easier access to your memories.

Over the years, there have been many heart-breaking moments the earliest been a girl I liked would never be a girlfriend or the fight with my best friend and we were never the same again. The power of the brain is strange at times where past childhood memories are more vivid than a few years back highlighting the complexity of the brain and its infinite capacity to store information.

It is the same with food. I have been longing for something at was a regular on our table as a kid Braising steak and gravy it was beautiful but can I make it today, yes but it just doesn’t taste the same has mum made, so a memory destroyed.

Family is much easier when you are young but still fractious at times but family is for life. For every bad word or squabble, there are more happier times.

No comments:

Post a Comment