Thursday 25 August 2016

The Great British Bake Off - TV review - Come on Candice

BBC1 at 8pm last night it was back, The Great British Bake Off hit our screens for its seventh series. time for Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood to be judge, jury, and executioner. Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins were also back with their special slant of risqué humour and comforting words when needed.

The Bakers
On the menu of the new intake was drizzle cake, jaffa cakes and the show-stopper for the twelve fresh amateur bakers. Most of my friends and readers know I don’t do cakes, I don’t like them and only ever made one cake not counting the Swiss Roll I made in school once before. It was for a dare/bet and I ended up making a Dundee cake, it was beautiful I was told but I wouldn’t know because I don’t like cake.

The technical challenge was a drizzle cake some of the contestants struggled which could be down to stage fright with millions watching, later confirmed to be over 11million. I have to admit the disappointment of failure is one of the big turn-ons for me.

The next task was 12 jaffa cakes in the technical round and it seems the making of the jaffa cake is fiendishly difficult. On social media, the big debate cake or biscuit with experts in the world of baking coming down on the side of cake and should have Paul dipped his in a cup of tea. One of the amateurs even managed to design a new jaffa cake ’the upside down’ and the rest of them didn’t do much better they didn’t look like any I have seen before come out of a box.

The showstopper was a Mirror Glaze Cake with a difficult Genoese sponge some contestants worried, mistakes were easy, and the bin soon filled up with cake. It was noticeable how many of the contestants were forced to ditch their attempts and start again. At the end, 61-year-old Jane was top baker but everyone wanted to know was who was leaving the tent and it was vicar Lee, which I found a bit unfair there were a number of massive fails.

Lucky my horse/favourite is still in the running, PE teacher Candice and after her rubbery sponge incident was fortunate to be in the show. I am thinking my attraction towards her maybe not helping in picking a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment