Sunday 16 April 2017

Sunday Crush - Charlotte Rampling – The Night Porter (1974)

Last Sunday just as I was going to update the latest crush on to my blog in the background on TV, a name was mentioned that gave this Sunday’s crush.

I saw the above named film years after its cinema release date, not until the early eighties on VHS already having known all about the film. I saw the film reviewed on BBC Film 74 by Barry Norman and because of the controversial subject matter in the press.

This is a bit of a strange one has the crush actually came before seeing the film that sparked my interest in the leading lady Charlotte Rampling. I have always liked striking artwork, pictures, and the famous picture of her used in poster and press release can definitely be placed in that category. Even today after all these years, the image still fascinates me.

It could be the simple black and white shot, black and white can be so more powerful than colour pictures. The picture looks androgynous and the figure could easily be male or female but has I know it is female I wonder what people who have never seen or heard of the film would make of the image today.

The picture in context of the scene in the film
There was a lot of criticism surrounding the film for its subject matter, where we see a holocaust survivor (Rampling) have a chance meeting at a hotel in 1957, with the Nazi officer (Dirk Bogarde) who tortured and had a sadomasochistic, sexual relationship with her.This resumed when they met again but will it end happily or are they doomed.

Has for the film not the greatest film I have ever soon nor is it the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment