Monday 3 April 2017

Monday Prime Time TV 1975

While checking out the TV schedule for today I wondered what a 15 year old me would be watching back in 1975. Well for one thing, I would not have access to hundreds of TV channels, remote controls, and ability to record TV programmes well the latter two could happen for a price an expensive price in the world of three channel TV.

So I dug up archive copies of the Radio Times for the BBC content and TV Times covering commercial TV on ITV. First thing, you notice TV starting a round 9am, closedowns, and TV shows start at 8:10pm instead on the hour and half hour we see today.

I decided to check out prime time between 7pm and 10pm on a Monday. I can remember in my mind the picture of my then home at 4 Pomeroy St. One TV in the house in the living room catering for a family of seven with seating for five or two if Dad was sparked out after work and on the dark nights of winter pretty full. We were in the main a BBC household.
BBC1 6:50pm Z Cars.
ITV 6:45pm The David Nixon Show.
BBC2 7:05pm Parents and Children.
We would be watching as a family Z Cars for sure it was a favourite of mums and even I liked it much better than the ITV offering.
BBC1 7:40pm Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads
ITV 7:30pm Coronation Street
BBC2 7:30pm Newsday
I can guarantee we would miss the end of Z Cars because mum would never miss Coronation Street. I myself would sit sullen faced knowing I would be missing the Likely Lads and yet soon as I some money or a Markcross account I bought myself a portable TV.
BBC1 8:10pm Panorama
ITV 8pm Rising Damp/8:30pm World in Action
BBC2 8:10pm The Waltons
What do you do when you like all four- you pick one? If there were something that interested my parents, Panorama would be the viewing for the night. The on-going sagas on Waltons Mountain was nice family entertainment and we liked a laugh and Rising Damp was guarantee to provide that and like Panorama if the was a good subject on World in Action we would watch.
BBC1 9pm The Nine O’clock News/ 9:25pm Kojak
ITV 9pm Police Woman
BBC2 9pm The Goodies/9:30pm Horizon
Two American TV shows lead the way after the Nine o’clock watershed. ITV had sexy Angie Dickinson the sexiest copper ever while the BBC had the bald lollipop-sucking Telly Savalas. The Goodies followed by Kojak (who loves ya baby) because mum wants Kojak we watch Kojak.

No comments:

Post a Comment