Monday 8 September 2014

Freedom ....Well when I was young

Kids today lead a much-sheltered life compared to my childhood. All the dangers that worry parents today were around back then but it was a quieter life. There was no great panic, as everyone knew everyone and your parent’s friends looked out for you and playing outside was the norm.
I was recently in my old street visiting a friend and the difference was easy to see. In my day, there would hardly be a car in the street leaving plenty of room to play. The difference now is the street is jammed packed with cars with not a space between them. Although there was a park, a street away the street was still a playground with hopscotch games chalked on the pavement and children playing alleys in the gutter, space to kick a ball against a wall or simply play catch without hitting a car and setting off a car alarm.
7a at Mill Lane
When I was 10/11, I was taking the bus across Cardiff alone to go and visit my Nan. Then for me a trip into the town centre with my parents was about my biggest adventure particularly when I got lost. Mum and Dad were so sure I would make my way home they didn’t panic and found me sitting on the wall waiting for them.
However, the Docks to Splott, now that was an adventure even if the majority of it involved sitting on the bus. Mum told me not to talk to strangers which was a given and I would never go off with a stranger. I would enjoy the journey and the freedom it gave me from the walk over the bridge to catch the bus, the 7a. I would rush upstairs sit at the front, watch Cardiff go by, and luckily, for me my Nan lived a few streets from the terminus stop.
I would like to believe I allowed my kids some freedom growing up but you couldn’t help but worry about them. Today it might be a bit different for my boys and I couldn’t see me giving them much in the way of freedom. Everything is at a fast pace and kids have more stuff, like mobile phones and other valuables that make them targets. The world has become so materialistic and a must have society kids want to become grown up to soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment