Sunday 7 September 2014

My Defining Album ... 'The Specials'

While bored and trolling through my online music collection it got my thinking of what was my defining album the complete one, the greatest album I ever owned.
 
After a bit of a think it was soon obvious to me, it was the 1979 album ‘The Specials’ by the Specials. I cannot think of another album I can say hand on heart I loved every single track on it. I remember buying it, where I bought it and most of all how I felt about it after listening to it. I even remember why I bought the album it was after watching them perform on Top of the Pops. Although I had heard of the Two Tone scene from listening to the radio and reading about them in the music press it was not until then I felt I found my musical home.
 
1."A Message to You, Rudy
2."Do the Dog"
3."It's Up to You"
4."Nite Klub"
5."Doesn't Make It Alright"
6."Concrete Jungle"
7."Too Hot"
Side two1.
"Monkey Man"
2."(Dawning of A) New Era"
3."Blank Expression"
4."Stupid Marriage"
5."Too Much Too Young"
6."Little Bitch"
7."You're Wondering Now"
 
If you anyway interested in the ‘Two Tone’ scene that burst into popularity in the late 70s early 80s with bands like, The Specials, Madness, and The Beat to name a few this album was regarded as a must-have.
 
It’s a true classic of the 'Two Tone' genre inspired in the most by a love of Ska music. The music found a home in the Rude boys and Rude girls as well as skinheads allow the latter brought along some violence with the growth of the National Front within the ranks of the skinhead movement. Not every skinhead was a Nazi, real skinheads had a love for black music the likes ska and reggae and anyway 'Two Tone' was about multicultural Britain.
 
Given the multiracial make-up of the seven-strong band not to mention much of the album’s subject matter, politics, the establishment, violence, identity, and race it was surprising they attracted racists. The all-white band Madness suffered most with the far-right infesting there gigs even with the band constantly denouncing their presents.
 
Of the tracks on this album, I couldn’t pick a favourite the whole album is. The key tracks include: ‘Message To You Rudy’, ‘Monkey Man’, ‘Too Much Too Young’, ‘Gangsters’ and ‘You’re Wondering Now’ which at a push I could declare my best, maybe. This album has tested the length of time and not just with us oldies the youth of today are finding 'Two Tone' and appreciating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment