Friday 12 September 2014

Posh Baked Beans

I love a plate of baked beans (in tomato sauce) on toast, tin beans of course. I like my beans straight up without added flavours like cheese or adding’s like beans and sausages.
The reason for my declaration of love of the humble baked bean is after reading the poshest of shops Fortnum & Mason have launched 'Proper Beans' at £3.95 each for their 330g pots. It is reputed at Fortnum & Mason was the first shop in Britain to sell this British favourite in 1886. My baked beans of choice are Tesco own brand costs me 32p for a 415g tin with a massive difference in price.
Heinz, the most popular maker of baked beans in the UK are currently retailing at round 50p for a 415g tin. Proper Beans at Fortnum & Mason costs a whopping £3.95 for a 330g pot. That’s more than seven times the price that we pay for the Heinz product. While it’s nearly 12 times the cost of my Tesco favourites, so I could buy eleven tins for the cost of one.
I check there website but couldn’t find them as I
intend to give them a taste test myself. I could buy them for Christmas as a treat. However, I would bet there don’t do simple plain baked beans so I will have to suck it up and just get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment