Wednesday 26 October 2016

Films that scared me - I like a Horror film

I like a good horror film but they don’t scare me. I might jump at a sudden scene like in Salem's Lot (1979) starring David Soul, when the vampire visits someone in prison and just pops up on the screen. I jumped but was not scared.

I watched The Exorcist with a pinch of salt, scared me no way, phooey. I was only shocked by the potty mouth of 13-year-old Linda Blair. I remember my first horror film if you can call it horror it was called, ‘Them’ an American black-and-white film about the A-bomb creating giant ants that was in the early seventies.

I have watched maybe 150 or more good ones and loads of crap as well but they are a very few that really gave me a fright, terrified yours truly, unlikely. It is more the subject matter that mostly affected me. With Halloween around the corner, I was of a mind to revisit them and test myself.

The Descent (2005)

Confined spaces is a problem for me even in films so a caving trip that goes horribly wrong is my nightmare. This film is about a group of female adrenaline junkies who checkout an uncharted cave system when a rock fall leaves them trapped deep inside the cave.

They set about looking for another way out but they are unaware they are been stalked by its inhabitants, a vicious breed of hungry flesh-eaters. They put up a strong fight but one by one, they succumbed to their fate or did they all.


American Mary (2012)

Funny how I can watch someone having an operation with no problem but a film with body mutilation and I watch behind my hands. Medical student named Mary who is growing increasingly broke and disenchanted with medical school and the established doctors she once idolized.

The allure of easy money sends a desperate Mary through the messy world of underground surgeries, which leaves more marks on her than the so-called freakish clientele.

She is also raped at a party by one of her lecturers and Gets her revenge in a particular nasty and gruesome way.

The Medusa Touch (1978)

Not a bloody film, but when I left the cinema I was shaking. In the film a French detective on temporary assignment with Scotland Yard, investigates an attack on writer John Morlar who is hit over the head by an unknown intruder and in a coma. In a series of flashbacks, the story of Morlar is revealed while he talks with psychiatrist, Dr. Zonfield.

Morlar has the ability to think horrible thoughts and make them come true and when Zonfield is doubtful, he makes a plane crash into a high-raised building. Slowly, the detective begins to connect the strange things that are happening in the world to Morlar with the help of Zonfield. He gets the final clue he needs from Morlar past. Zonfield goes to the hospital to kill Morlar but he kills her by making her jump through the window. Morlar then turns his mind on a London cathedral, where the Queen is scheduled to make an appearance -- but Morlar is thinking about the cathedral, and it is crumbling fast.

It was not a complete film but one character within it that gave me my biggest fright, yes, I was a total scaredy cat, and it gave me nightmares. When I was round 10-years-old I when to see Jason and the Argonauts (1963) in the local cinema.

It was not the fight scene towards the end of the film where Jason and his men battle the skeletons, but the gigantic statue of Talos. I dreamt he was astride the River Taff and looked right into my bedroom window and as brave has Jason I gave Talos a hefty punch but forgetting in was asleep and the window, smash.

I will probably have a dream about my friend Talos tonight if I have a good night sleep. It will likely surround that night but luckily, I don’t sleep by the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment