Saturday 29 October 2016

Butter on the outside but what's in the middle?

There can surely be no more essential a piece of kitchen equipment than the trusty Breville toasted sandwich maker. With its reassuringly British-sounding name and promise of hot comfort food, it has over the years carved its own little niche in the cupboards of kitchens everywhere. Do you think the Queen as a few in her kitchens?

My problem with it is the size of the toasties! Do the Breville Company really need to attempt to cut the toasties in half it rarely works? The two halves ‘pockets’ are tiny in the end ok for a snack but not a filling meal unless you eat like a sparrow. Why they don’t just seal the edges around the whole piece of bread is beyond me.

Thinking about the variety of toastie fillings it seems to be dominated by cheese and whatever as an option. My favourite is baked beans and bacon with a dollop of brown sauce I do recommend this also bacon and sliced tomatoes is a real treat. Some people do use crap fillings though! I remember reading someone using left over Christmas dinner in a toasted sandwich with a side order of gravy ... yuck. My youngest son is always making them and his way is simple. He just opens the fridge door, looks to see what’s there, and just chucks whatever into the Breville, which is not a pretty sight.

A number of years ago I did made an upgrade to a Panini maker but it was just not the same. I like the fact with the Breville you could seal the goodness of your ingredients in those lovely pockets. I am still griping about how small they are though.

I found this recipe on the internet I would like to share for an egg toastie which I plan to add to be menu soon as.

All you need to do is the following:

  • Put the sandwich maker on to warm up (please note: it must be a sandwich toaster that seals the edges such as the Breville)
  • Take Your pieces of bread and spread one side of each piece with butter - thinly
  • Place a piece of bread into the toaster butter side down (ie touching the hot plate)
  • Take a spoon and press the bread into the triangular cavities of the toaster to make little dishes or hollows

For the next part you have to be quick to prevent the egg running out (because those hollows you made don't really stay down but they do help)

  • Crack an egg into the bread using the edge of the egg shell break the yolk in half and get half of it in each half of the sandwich
  • Add a little salt and lots of pepper (if you like pepper as much as me)
  • Put your other piece of bread on top (butter side up) and close your machine. The butter makes the outside lovely and crispy
  • Cook the sandwich for about 3-4 minutes (or longer if you want a harder yolk).

The egg expands to fill the sandwich and, believe me, they taste delicious hot or cold. They will be very hot at first so you could cut them in half to cool them down.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had a toasty in years and I was only looking at them recently, I definately want one now to make that egg toasty! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete