Thursday 20 October 2016

Football Pies - The Ultimate Pie Trek

Rarely am I jealous of anyone well maybe someone who has a big lottery win but today reading the story of a football fan traveling around visiting every ground trying there pies struck a chord with me. Yes, the pangs of jealousy are high.

I have read the book 92 Pies by Tom Dickinson who also undertook the same task but completed the journey in one season. Fulham fan Jonny Smith, 25, began is quest in August 2013 as a bit of fun be for it become an obsession and is still munching his way around the football stadiums of the Premiership/EFL. He is 50 grounds/pies in so far on the 92 grounds, which if the EFL expands will rise to 100.

There is a blog

Despite visiting some of the biggest and probably best football arenas, such as Old Trafford, Anfield, and The Emirates, there pies are not among his favourites his best pie can be found at Bristol City’s Ashton Gate with only two pies from the Premiership in the top ten Sunderland and Crystal Palace. The Cardiff City Clarks Pie is currently fifth in his top ten while his worst can be found a Carrow Road, home to Norwich whose joint owner is TV cook Delia Smith but I doubt she makes the pies.
Speaking to the press, he said, “What started off as a bit of a hobby has spiralled and now it’s my lifelong goal to find the best. What I’m looking for in a pie is a crispy top and juicy filling.
“It must be nice and hot to warm you on a cold football day, and I want it for a reasonable price and from a local butcher.”
When I use to travel myself to away games way back in the sands of time most of the grounds would have the same pies from one of the big pie manufacturers like Peters Pies. While up north the pies where meat and potato and scotch pies. Clubs seem to have wised up about pies at football because many clubs now will stock local pies from local butchers or bakeries.

Yes, this is a true wish of mine a pie trek around football grounds and would be on my bucket list but it will never happen so I will have to read about others living out my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment