Wednesday 10 October 2018

The Return of the Bookshop?

Listen to the radio this morning there was talk of bookshops making a comeback in England and Wales, which is great news. On a personal note, I have always had a secret wish to own a bookshop.

There is nothing like wandering around a bookshop and I especially enjoy the small independent shops. There was one in my local area of Canton long ago, now gone like many. There is a Welsh Language shop with a small number books in English print as I have grown older and wiser I would appreciate a bookshop more than I did back then.

I am old fashioned and enjoy a book while the wife was all about her Kindle now she is back to books. I went into town this morning to get a new book I wanted, no internet where it was cheaper a wonder around the shop. I like the feel of having a book in my hand, turning pages is much more enjoyable than pressing a button on these electronic reading devices. The wife has about 10 books on hers, she would delete them, I have a bookshelf, and my books will always be there. I normally read football related books with my team Cardiff City at the forefront however recently I have started reading the more quirky books on the subject.

I would be willing to pay a premium for a local bookshop instead of buying via the internet. The internet may be cheaper but it is a soulless chore. They may be cheaper, but I would rather pay £2 or £3 more for the joy of rooting around a bookshelf. It is important to have vibrant local shopping areas with a good mixture of shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment